My work with clients involves the entire IP life cycle from the initial innovation stage, IP protection and commercialisation and enforcement of rights. My areas of expertise also encompass privacy, technology and Australian Consumer Law issues.
My practice covers both contentious and non-contentious IP matters. I assist clients to enforce their IP rights by acting in opposition proceedings before IP Australia and in Federal Court proceedings.
On the commercial side, I work with clients to identify and protect their IP and increasingly clients require assistance with IP transactions with a cross border element. I also carry out advertising compliance reviews for advertising campaigns.
In the privacy area, I have extensive experience with privacy projects and aiding clients with privacy compliance procedures and policies, as well as advising on data breach issues and reporting obligations.
Prior to joining Addisons in October 2017, Donna was a partner at Henry Davis York and the practice leader of the Intellectual Property team.
- Donna is ranked in the Chambers Global Guide 2019 and 2018 for Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright and is noted for her extensive experience. One client reported to Chambers that “I feel her knowledge around intellectual property is excellent and that she provided exceptional advice in managing our risk.”
- Donna is ranked in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2019, 2018 and 2017 and is well regarded for trade mark registration, enforcement, commercialisation and brand management. An interviewee described her as “very knowledgeable in IP legal matters. She communicates very well and keeps us in the loop with regards to all relevant matters. She is also easy to deal with, very professional and courteous.'
- Ranked as a Leading Trade Mark Professional for Prosecution and Strategy in The World's Leading Trademark Practitioners 2019
- Listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific for Intellectual Property 2018 and 2017
- Listed as a Leading Commercial IP Lawyer in Doyles 2017 and as a Recommended Lawyer in Doyles Guide 2016 for Leading Commercialisation & IP Transaction Lawyers
BEcon LLB – Macquarie University
Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
Committee member of the INTA Enforcement Committee
Member of the Copyright Society of Australia
Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
Direct Selling Legal Update - June 2019
25 July 2019
Our Legal Update contains papers published recently by Addisons concerning various issues and developments impacting upon the direct selling sector in Australia. Areas covered include new obligations in respect of regulatory and compliance matters, as well as new requirements of which marketing teams should be aware.
Representing A Reality in the National Legal Scene
21 June 2019
Addisons is a 141 year old commercial law firm, operating at the cutting edge of commercial legal practice, particularly in the areas of property and infrastructure development. Testimony to Harshane Kahagalle’s success is his recent nomination as an AI Leading Advisor for 2019 where he was recognised as the Leading Property and Infrastructure Development Lawyer of the Year, Australia. On the back of this win, we profile Addisons Lawyers, and Harshane provides us with a glimpse into the inner-workings of the services both Harshane and Addisons as a whole provide to their clients.
Your crypto decrypt: ASIC updates guidance on ICOs and crypto-assets
04 June 2019
The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) has updated its guidance about the regulatory regimes that may apply to initial coin offerings (ICOs), cryptocurrency and other crypto-assets.