My work with clients involves the entire IP life cycle from the initial innovation stage, IP protection and commercialisation and enforcement of rights. My areas of expertise also encompass privacy, technology and Australian Consumer Law issues.
My practice covers both contentious and non-contentious IP matters. I assist clients to enforce their IP rights by acting in opposition proceedings before IP Australia and in Federal Court proceedings.
On the commercial side, I work with clients to identify and protect their IP and increasingly clients require assistance with IP transactions with a cross border element. I also carry out advertising compliance reviews for advertising campaigns.
In the privacy area, I have extensive experience with privacy projects and aiding clients with privacy compliance procedures and policies, as well as advising on data breach issues and reporting obligations.
Prior to joining Addisons in October 2017, Donna was a partner at Henry Davis York and the practice leader of the Intellectual Property team.
- Donna is ranked in the Chambers Global Guide 2019 and 2018 for Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright and is noted for her extensive experience. One client reported to Chambers that “I feel her knowledge around intellectual property is excellent and that she provided exceptional advice in managing our risk.”
- Donna is ranked in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2019, 2018 and 2017 and is well regarded for trade mark registration, enforcement, commercialisation and brand management. An interviewee described her as “very knowledgeable in IP legal matters. She communicates very well and keeps us in the loop with regards to all relevant matters. She is also easy to deal with, very professional and courteous.'
- Ranked as a Leading Trade Mark Professional for Prosecution and Strategy in The World's Leading Trademark Practitioners 2019
- Listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific for Intellectual Property 2018 and 2017
- Listed as a Leading Commercial IP Lawyer in Doyles 2017 and as a Recommended Lawyer in Doyles Guide 2016 for Leading Commercialisation & IP Transaction Lawyers
BEcon LLB – Macquarie University
Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
Committee member of the INTA Enforcement Committee
Member of the Copyright Society of Australia
Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
Australian Government Proposes Scheme to Block Illegal Offshore Wagering Websites
13 December 2018
The Australian Federal Government is reviewing the possibility of introducing an Internet filtering scheme which would result in participating internet service providers (ISPs) blocking illegal offshore wagering websites which have been referred to the ISPs by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
A State of Flux: Australia's Point of Consumption Tax - Implications for Wagering Operators
11 December 2018
The South Australian government introduced in July 2017 Australia’s first Point of Consumption Tax (‘POC Tax’) on wagering operators; throughout 2018, Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory have each followed suit to implement a similar POC Tax framework in those respective jurisdictions. The Northern Territory, however, has expressed opposition to the introduction of a POC Tax and Tasmania has remained silent.
Australian Loot Box Inquiry - Harmless Gameplay Enhancement or Predatory Gambling Scheme
07 December 2018
Australia’s Loot Box inquiry has handed down its report, with the majority not recommending any change to the current regulatory regime. The view for the moment at least – is there does not need to be any regulatory intervention to address loot boxes.